Saturday, March 7, 2009

Remember The Alamo


Alamo Ghosts
photo by Joan
Did you see any movies about the Alamo yesterday, or hear any stories on tv, read something in the newspaper, yesterday? I didn't. One person sent me something from YouTube about it by e-mail.
It was 173 years ago that the battle of the Alamo ended. And soon the cry "Remember The Alamo" came about as Texans and others battled for freedom. April 6, 1836 is another day that should be remembered, along with dates like December 7, 1941. But, as time passes, there is less said to honor the people who gave their lives and to help us remember our history.
The photos above were taken at the Alamo a few years ago by my daughter. She and a friend and their children were visiting San Antonio. They heard about a ghost tour that started at the Alamo, and they joined the tour.
The top photo shows tourists, on the right, waiting for the tour to start.
But, when we got the pictures developed, there were other figures on the left. A group that was not there, or at least visible to my daughter and the group.
The photo has faded some, but, when we first got it, you could clearly see several men dressed in the uniforms of the Mexican soldiers, facing toward the center of the picture. They were so clear, that I thought that they must be reenactors, standing near the wall. I thought that there was a man with light brown pants and a white shirt facing them. I don't see that anymore, and, instead, there is a red image on the scan of the photo. I used Quick Fix on this one to try to bring it out a little more, but that just darkened parts of it. You can see slight images of some figures on the left, where the Mexican soldiers seemed to be.
The bottom picture is the same photo, scanned and cropped to eliminate all but the "ghostly" figures. I didn't use the Quick Fix on it.
I wish I had had a scanner and computer when we first had the pictures developed so that we could see the images better now.
I never did get to go in the Alamo, but I drove by it frequently back in the 1960s. I thought it was sad to have built all those buildings around it.
I did, however, stop by Monument Hill at LaGrange a few times, and that was impressive, too.
We certainly should remember the Alamo and all the events and people that went into making our great state-and country.
Remember The Alamo
*********
I hope that you got to go to First Friday in downtown Bryan last evening, and to the great band concerts at A&M this week, and today. I would have loved to have gone! There was a convention of bands and band directors at A&M this week, with one big concert on Kyle Field this afternoon to culminate activities. The U.S. Navy band and others were included with concerts during the week. What a great experience! Maybe I can go next year.
*************
If you are going to be in the Austin area Saturday April 11, 2009, be sure to go by Book People's booskstore on 6th & Lamar (603 N. Lamar) to a book signing with Kathi Appelt and Cynthia Leitich Smith. The event is from 1-3 p.m. Bring your friends and family! There will be brief readings, interesting commentary, and signing by both authors.
The event celebrates the success of Kathi's book, a Newberry Award Winner, "The Underneath", and the release of Cynthia's new book, "Eternal".
Please RSVP by 3/22 to help them plan for the event.
***************
Congratulations to all the winners in the Brazos Valley Art League Show! Included in that group is Jack Holloway from Hearne and Mary Waldson from Gause. I'm especially excited to see that Mary earned both 1st and 2nd place in Non-Professional Oils and Acrylics. Mary was a participant in the first Plein Aire Painting Workshop with V.... Vaughan in Calvert.
If you are in the area, be sure to go by to see the show at the Art Center in College Station.
***************
If you are in this area, and like to draw or paint, be sure to click on the Join link at the top of my sidebar to join the group I started, Brazos Valley_Sketchers. If you are on Facebook, there is another group there, Brazos Valley Sketchers that you might want to join. I know that we have a lot of people who love art in this area. Lots of teachers and students, professors, professional artists, hobbyists, etc. in this area who would enjoy things like Sketch Crawl, plein aire painting, etc.
**************
If you haven't joined my group, or added your name to my Followers list, or subscribed to my blog, or even signed my Guest Book at the bottom of my page, it is really easy to do. Please let others know who might be interested.
**************
Have a great weekend!
Remember the Alamo!
I wonder what people in Texas were thinking and feeling this day in 1836.
***********


No comments: