Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hat Day


Hat Day

at Cardiac Rehab

February is National Heart Month, so I wanted to pay tribute to all those therapists, doctors, nurses, patients, etc. who are involved with our hearts and health. Of course, since we all have hearts or we wouldn't be here, this does involve everyone and every living thing.

Barbara Bush spoke at a luncheon to raise funds but, at $50 a ticket, that was a little pricey for me. I tried to watch the live streaming from KBTX tv, but there was no sound. May have been my computer, but I would have liked to have heard what she had to say.

Tomorrow, there will be a speaker at the College Station Convention Center. They told us about it at Cardiac Rehab and gave us a slip of paper with the details. But, like everything else of mine, my daughter threw it away when I tried to show it to her. It's at 6:00 p.m. I probably won't get to go because of my transportation problem. If I want to go to something, my driver doesn't.

At Cardiac Rehab, this week, they are doing something a little different, with a theme each day. Monday was hat day, as in the picture above. I know that Hazel should have been the winner, for sure, if we had had a competition. She's the lady on the treadmill, with the tall hat with a handle on it! That was some hat! I just wore the cowboy hat I got at Target for painting outside. As it turned out, I discovered that it may not be so good for outdoors, though, with the sides permanently turned up, and it's so loose that the wind blew it down the driveway when I started to get in the car! One lady had on a straw, wide brimmed hat. And, of course, Cindy had on her hot pink cowboy hat, with rhinestones around the brim. Several men had on their baseball caps, as did some of the therapists.

I had to take my hat off to exercise, though.

They also had a bean bag toss game. I thought I wouldn't be able to do it with my vision, but I got 3 out of 4, and got to draw for a little prize from a bag. I brought home a cute little soft toy St. Joseph's Hospital ambulance.

Today, we are supposed to wear a wild tie or belt. I don't have any of those but I'm planning to wear a genuine 1950s neckerchief. That's sort of a tie, I think! It was a little neck scarf that belonged to Toot, my great aunt, back in the 50s and 60s.

Friday is Patriotic Day. I know what to wear for that. The denim shirt with stars and stripes that I always wore to school to keep warm, and to show my support and love for the United States. And some star earrings.

Dr. J. James Rohack of Bryan/College Station, is going to be honored at one of the local country clubs at a fund raiser for the heart association. He is a cardiologist and president of the AMA. And he lives just down the road. He was my first cardiologist here, years ago, and he has the most interesting eyes! Anyway, I'll have more information on that event in another post.

I'm thinking of starting another blog, just for my heart drawings and experiences.

There seems to be so much heart information, discoveries, and problems out there, these days. When I see what others are going through, mine seems to be so small and I feel like I am so much better off than so many people.

I just have to find time to start the new blog! Everything takes so long, the way my computer is.

*****

I set everything up to participate in the One World One Heart event, and, when I checked, my blog was not listed on the site. I wondered why I was not getting any comments. When I contacted the site owner, I was told that she didn't receive an e-mail from me. I guess that it didn't go because of my computer problems. At that time, I was getting a lot of error messages, this program is not responding, and out of memory. I did get one comment from Robin, so, I guess that she is automatically the winner! I don't know since I was told that I am not participating due to the owner not hearing from me. I thought it was all set. But, since my computer was acting up, I didn't go to the site and check until after the deadline.

Well, maybe another time. Actually, I heard about it a little late, too. I just found out about it through someone on the Everyday Matters group.

***

It's cold in "the neighborhood", as Mr. Rogers would say. Warms up to the 50s in the daytime, cools to the 20s at night. Really clear cerulean blue skies!

**







No comments: