Monday, May 11, 2009

Swine Flu

Swine Flu
8.5" x 11"
ink
Thankfully, so far, we haven't all come down with the dreaded Swine Flu (or number and letters whatever the politically correct are calling it now). They said it had characteristics of swine, bird, and human influenza. I wanted to do something about the thing that was a big item in the news, and spread concern around the world. So, I did my little version of the Swine and Bird Flu.
This little piggy and his birdie friend are laid up in bed with the flu, while humans check on them through the bedroom windows. Two people protect themselves with masks, while one visitor wonders what to do and if he should worry.
This drawing is on acid free 70 pound white drawing paper. It was done with a Pitt pen.
The size is 8.5" x 11".
I haven't added color to this one, yet. I sort of like it as a simple cartoon style drawing. I may add color to it, yet.
Enjoy!
****************
We haven't had the Swine Flu, but I've been dealing with a rash on my face, arms, and chest since Wednesday. My eyes were so swollen, I was getting concerned.
I joked with my grandson that I had big bags under my eyes, that, at one point, looked like someone deflated them and they started wrinkling!
Don't know what it is. It isn't poison ivy, I know. The others think it isn't contagious or someone else in the house would have it too. I've been taking benadryl and sleeping. It seems a bit better today. I thought it started when I had my arm on a clean towel that was very rough from being washed without a dryer sheet. That made my arm itch in one little spot, and then it spread to the other arm and my face by the next day. Very strange.
My mother used to say that I was like the princess in the story, "The Princess and the Pea". Way too sensitive to things! I couldn't stand a wrinkle in my sheets, or to touch things like paper or velvet. Rough towels and wash cloths are like using sandpaper on my skin. And that isn't because I am old. I've always been like that.
******************
Enjoyed watching some old movies on TCM today with Margaret Rutherford. I don't like mysteries or scarey things, but I do like the Miss Marple movies that starred Rutherford. I was kind of sleepy, still, from the benadryl, so I just watched the movies while I tried to wake up.
*****************
Speaking of movies, I heard that the new "Star Trek" movie has some spectacular special effects. One person talked about going to see it in an IMAX theatre. That should be something to watch. However, I can't get too excited about Star Trek movies without William Shatner as Capt. Kirk, especially as he was in the first tv programs.
****************
If you know anyone with an interest in Calvert, Texas, I set up a group on Yahoo and another one on FaceBook just for them. I also set up one for former students at Calvert High. Please let anyone know who might be interested in joining, and sharing pictures, memories, comments, etc.
******************
Save the Calvert City Hall!
***

1 comment:

BC said...

Loved this... the personality just shows!
Barbara