Saturday, October 11, 2008

Victorian Tea, Gala, and Street Fair in Calvert


Fan & Apron
(top)
pencil sketch
10" x 15"
(bottom)
photo
Her fan hid an impish grin, but her eyes gave her away as she looked at her mother.
"Look! I'm a grown up lady with a fan!"
Her mother rested from her duties selling kolaches inside the building, at a table on the sidewalk. She brushed her hair back with her hand as a gentle breeze tousled the brown strands.
Barbara and I sat on a bench beside the kolache shop, ready to do a little sketching, and talking with the visitors to town. We waited for our cousin from Austin to join us.
What to draw. So many things. So many memories. As I opened my sketchbook, I spotted the little girl looking over a folding fan and her mother, dressed in a long dress with a white ruffled apron. I liked the way the fabric draped in that apron and the way that the woman's fingers moved through her hair.
The little girl quickly left and I had only started the fan! So, I had to work from memory. The mother went in and out of the shop, but sat long enough for me to get part of the pose, and a photo that I could work from later.
I intended to do just a light sketch on watercolor paper, that I could use watercolors on later. I ended up spending most of my time trying to remember the pose. I added the buildings later, and those were more ficticious. For a finished picture, I would need to look at my photos. This time, I was just working from memory.
*************
First Baptist Church in Calvert is having their Homecoming tomorrow, celebrating their 139th year.
***************
If you are in the area, and looking for art supplies for the Plein Aire Painting Workshop in Calvert Saturday, you might look at Michael's in College Station. They are in the Gateway Shopping Center, across from Scott & White and near the Texas Road House and the east bypass. They were kind enough to keep a supply list for us. But, you do have to ask at the register for it. It is a courtesy to us who might need supplies and don't have our list with us.
*****************
Have you signed up for the Plein Aire Painting Workshop in Calvert, yet?
Come and bring a friend!
Saturday October 18
8-5
sunrise to sunset
Pass the information on to someone who might be interested.
See the top of my sidebar.
Contact Cecelia at grannyc_54@yahoo.com for a supply list and more information.
Hope to see you there!
*****************
Are you getting your group together or making plans to participate in
the 20th World Wide Sketch Crawl
Saturday Oct. 25
You can join people in Calvert or Bryan, or start your own group in your own community. Or work alone.
FREE
Contact
Greta Watkins at the Frame Gallery in Bryan or Sonny Moss at Mud Creek Pottery in Calvert.
************
Have you seen the Brazos Valley Art League Juried Show at the P. David Romei Art Center in College Station? There is more information on their website which is on my sidebar.
**************

No comments: