Saturday, September 27, 2008

Aggies vs West Point

Aggie Touchdown
Aggies vs West Point
9" x 12"
pencil
I would have about "given my eye teeth", as the old saying goes, to have been over at Kyle Field to watch the Aggie Corps of Cadets and the Cadets from West Point march in today. Wow! That would have been something to witness!
Instead I had to settle for watching the game on tv. I fixed myself a sandwich and settled in with my sketchbook. Couldn't get inspired though. They mostly showed the game, lots of commercials, and men talking about other games. Not my "cup of tea". I wonder why the tv stations can't understand that some people are more interested in things like the bands, half time, the Corps, the cannon, Parsons Mounted Cavalry, and all the things that go on at an Aggie game. Those things are rarely shown, and then only a glimpse, I guess to fill time when nothing is happening.
Today, I ate my sandwich and used the remote control a lot to look for something to hold my interest. During commercials and times when the men were talking about other games, and when I was just plain bored, I watched "How The West Was Won", for the umpteenth time.
I guess this was a pretty good game, today, since the Aggies won 21-17. Lots of players got knocked down and hurt in the process and, during those times, there were more commercials.
One play did catch my attention. One of the Aggie players was running down the field, near the sidelines, and several other players surrounded him, keeping the West Point team away and insuring the safety of the ball carrier. That row of marron shirts and helmets, and white pants, running down the field, looked pretty powerful as they ran for the touchdown. At that point, I opened my sketchbook and started sketching. It took me the rest of the game to finish what started out to be a quick gesture drawing.
At least it is a memory of the game where I wanted to be. I would have been happy to just have been outside Kyle Field, maybe at the MSC, watching the march in!
I used my favorite #314 Draughting Pencil on Canson 65 # acid free paper to do "Aggie Touchdown", above.
********************
Plein Aire Painting Workshop
with
V....Vaughan
Calvert, Texas
Saturday October 18, 2008
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
or
Sunrise to Sunset
Demo-Paint on Location-"Chicken Clinic"
$80
Contact Cecelia at grannyc_54@yahoo.com
for information and a supply list
**************
20th World Wide Sketch Crawl
Saturday October 25, 2008
click the logo in my side bar
Let's Draw The Brazos Valley!
Contact Cecelia at grannyc_54@yahoo.com
for more information
*******************
First Friday in Downtown Bryan
Friday October 3, 2008
*****************
Brazos Valley Art League
Fall Juried Show
P. David Romei Art Center
College Station, Texas
Entries due Friday October 3, 2008
Judging and Reception Saturday October 4, 2008
******************************

No comments: