Friday, October 5, 2007

Vison-Actress

Actress
9"x 12"
watercolors

She was a beautiful lady, with her chin lifted slightly, a red scarf falling over her dark hair onto her shoulders. The steady gaze of her wide brown eyes, her high cheekbones with a hint of color, and her full, red lips caught my attention as I watched the movie on tv.

The distortion of her bent nose and a purple, transparent fog that fell in a circle below her nose, disturbed the scene. Still, the frosted pink light on the wall behind her was clear.

I did a pencil sketch of her as she remained in the pose for a short while. Another distorted vision that was a result of my Macular Degeneration, but one that was like abstract art. Another in my pathway down deteriorating vision.

Actually, I like the pencil sketch a little better, as far as her look is concerned. But, the colors in the painting are more the way I was seeing her. I'll post the sketch below so that you can see what I am talking about.

Walking over to the tv set cleared the image, and the distortions in shape and color disappeared. But, by then, the scene with the beautiful lady was over.

"Actress" was painted with Winsor Newton watercolors on 140 pound Arches watercolor paper.

Thanks for all the comments, and for sharing my work with others. I really appreciate that.

If you want to see previous art and stories about my experiences with Macular Degeneration, look under the Older Posts section, and find the archived entries that are prefaced with the word "Vision".

Actress
8.5" x 11"
pencil

No comments: